Motorcycle Licencing

In our line of work we get asked this question all the time.  Do I need to have a bike licence to get bike loan?  In most cases the answer is yes. However, here is some more information for you to consider before you go running out to get your bike licence.

Before you start looking for a new motorcycle or scooter and thinking about taking out a bike loan, you will need to consider getting yourself an appropriate rider’s licence. There are generally two classes for motorbike licences, these are either a class R or class RE.

You will be required to have both theory and practical testing along the way, but generally it is not difficult to achieve your licence with a little effort and a little bit of studying to get you across the line. Read on to learn more about the process and how to get it done.

Do I even need a motorcycle licence?

A ‘two-wheeled vehicle’ could be anything from a pedal powered bicycle to a huge Honda Goldwing. The good news is you won’t need a licence for a muscle-powered vehicle like a bicycle or foot-powered scooter, however, the law requires rider’s licences for most two wheeled motor vehicles, including most mopeds and all motorcycles, which isn’t ground breaking news to most.



Laws concerning motorbikes are a little more complicated.

As far as the law is concerned, the term ‘motorised bicycle’ refers to pedal powered bicycles with auxiliary motors that are not the primary power source. Certain classes of motorised bicycle are completely illegal to ride in public in some states and territories, while other kinds aren’t. For instance, Queensland prohibits internal combustion engines for motorised bicycles outright, but electric motors are fine. Be sure to check your local laws before heading out for a ride.

What You Need to Do?

If it turns out that you don’t need a licence, then you’re in luck. You can go ahead with your plans! If you do need one, you’ll have to follow the process relevant to your state.

You must have a rider’s licence to ride most motorcycles. However, to legally ride a moped with an engine displacement of 50cc or less in the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, and Western Australia, you only need to have a car driver’s licence. New South Wales’ laws are a little tougher, requiring that you earn a conditional or provisional rider’s licence and complete a pre-learner’s course in motorcycle riding, but you may have an engine of up to 125cc. In Tasmania, Victoria, and the Capital Territory, mopeds are legally treated exactly like any other motorcycle, so you need a rider’s licence.

As of 2013, all six states, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory have brought the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAM Scheme) into effect. This scheme restricts holders of a learner rider’s licence, class RE, to riding motorcycles with a maximum power-to-weight ratio of 150 kilowatts per tonne and a maximum engine capacity of 660cc.

Australia’s motorbike licensing laws aren’t terribly complicated, but it’s important that you understand them before buying a bike! It would be a shame to go through the process of applying for a bike loan only to find out that you can’t ride it.

If you have any further questions on the topic of bike licences or bike loans, please feel free to leave a comment below or visit our website.



Leave a Comment

Comment (required)

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Name (required)
Email (required)

Please Contact Me